What does this look like and mean in terms of policy and practice?
STM will work with stakeholders to create sustainable pathways that ensure authors are able to make their Version of Record Open Access.
STM will engage in— and facilitate—community and stakeholder collaborations to ensure research integrity.
STM will continue to innovate and invest in the technologies, systems and practices that enable excellence and integrity.
STM does not endorse Rights Retention Strategies or Green OA with no embargo.
STM will continue to support the adoption of Open Research practices to encompass the open sharing of other research outputs (beyond the final article).
The Drill Down
Keep reading for details on how our position is exhibited in action
- Knowledge-creation, discovery and sharing is best enabled when the final articles resulting from all stages of the peer-review and
publication process are immediately openly available to all.
- The VoR is the most thoroughly vetted version of the research publication, having been through all stages of the peer-review and
publication process. We know from author feedback that they prefer OA being to the VoR. A key feature of the VoR is that it is the version against which any future corrections (for a Corrected Version of Record) or enhancements
(Enhanced Version of Record) will be made.
- By urging funders and institutions to work with publishers to enable researchers to choose Gold OA to achieve OA to the VoR.
- By monitoring the uptake of different routes to Open Access through the STM OA Dashboard
- Research integrity is an issue that requires community-wide involvement to uphold.
- Through the development of standards, tools and solutions to improve and ensure the integrity of publications—regardless of access model.
- By engaging stakeholders globally – to define and build the critical infrastructure needed to support open and trusted scholarly communications at scale.
- This innovation and investment will only grow in importance as the corpus of research that comprises the academic record grows.
- Publishers invest heavily in the operation of peer review publication processes, curation and stewardship of the scholarly record at scale.
- These undermine the subscription model they are dependent upon and carry with them potential unintended consequences.
- OA models that promote immediate open access to accepted manuscripts with zero embargoes are not viable for a majority of STM publishers.
A rich source of OA data on the publishing industry
Publishers have worked to rapidly expand opportunities to publish OA by providing new pathways, developing new business models, and facilitating other collaborations and initiatives that support Open Science. STM developed this dashboard as a resource for all those seeking to learn more about how this is playing out in the choices authors are making.