Content Discovery Manager
Company : IOP Publishing
Location : Bristol / Hybrid
Closing Date : 28th May 2023
Website : https://www.ioppublishingcareers.org/vacancy/content-discovery-manager-524838.html
We are currently recruiting for an experienced and motivated Content Discovery Manager to join our Publishing team on a full time, permanent basis. If you’re looking for a new challenge and have experience in the strategic side of Content Discovery, then look no further!
The Content Discovery Manager’s role is to maximise the discovery and usage of IOPP’s books, journals and conference series content, through the management of IOPP’s relationships with 3rd party discovery and document delivery services, and dissemination of the content to publishing infrastructure services. The Content Discovery Manager is also responsible for perpetual preservation of content through delivery of content to archives and for compliance with industry standard content deposits to repositories.
The post holder will also be responsible for developing the discovery strategy for IOPP’s content, working with colleagues across the business to ensure the strategy meets the needs and goals of our publications. They act as the primary source of expertise on Content and Discovery services to the business including advising on indexing issues, A&I plans and industry best practice.
Key job accountabilities include:
- Ownership of external indexing and discovery agreements to ensure the inclusion of IOPP’s content in appropriate abstracting & indexing services, repositories;
- Working with the Content Platform development teams, ensure that technical systems are managed and developed to meet the needs of the business, its customers, third-party discovery, and publishing infrastructure services;
- Provision of reports to Publishing and to Partners about abstracting & indexing on individual titles, and recommendations to improve discoverability;
- Maintenance of an excellent overview of industry trends in discovery to identify new opportunities and to be the expert within IOPP for discovery services, referrals, and reader discovery behaviour
- Effective management of Content Discovery Coordinators to provide specialist support to customers and service providers, and efficient administration of routine data feeds and bulk deliveries.
To be successful in this role, you will need to demonstrate the following:
- Good understanding of digital publishing, and demonstrable experience in managing Content Discovery within STM publishing is essential;
- In-depth working knowledge of library systems and relevant industry data standards, including MARC and KBART;
- Extensive knowledge of content delivery services to support current and potential new vendors, including Abstracting and Indexing Services;
- Line management experience is desirable;
- Solid understanding of legal considerations of digital publishing such as Data Protection and Copyright is desirable;
- Experience working with Agile development teams is desirable
We know it is unusual for someone to tick every box so if you don’t meet all the criteria but demonstrate most of the skills and experience we are looking for, and have the enthusiasm to work with us, go ahead and apply.
We aim to review applications soon after they are received and will arrange interviews when there’s someone we’re keen to meet, therefore we may conduct interviews prior to the closing date and reserve the right to close the advert early.
Why work with us at IOP Publishing:
Purpose: We are a world leader in the development of electronic publishing for the scientific community - working in the interests of science and scientists, we aim to maximise the impact of the research we publish.
Culture: We offer a truly international culture with offices in Europe, Asia and the US and our reach is global. Our culture is the perfect blend of dedicated and intelligent professionalism, informal, friendly collaboration and authenticity with a social conscience.
Financial benefits: A competitive salary, an excellent pension scheme (up to 12% company contribution), a discretionary annual bonus scheme, a £200 stipend payment on completion of the probation period, and a range of other useful and cost-saving benefits available through our benefits platform.
Health and Wellbeing: 33+ days holiday (including bank holidays), a 35-hour working week, life assurance, cycle-to-work scheme, dental insurance, health care cash plan, and a great positive working environment in our brand-new office in central Bristol - modern airy and designed with all of our colleagues in mind – for work and social time.
Flexibility: A flexible hybrid working environment to suit everyone’s needs. For this role, the successful applicant can work from home the majority of the time and will only be required to work from the office approximately once per month.
And last but not least, did we mention that we are unique: IOP Publishing is central to the Institute of Physics, a not-for-profit society and we gift-aid all our profits to support science through the activities of the Institute.
To apply, please submit your CV through our careers site.
IOP Publishing is an equal-opportunity employer. Our goal is to ensure that diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are built into our identity in a way that is natural and sustainable, visible through the work we produce, our company branding, our professional networks, and the communities we serve and support, which includes our employees, talent communities and candidates. We particularly welcome applicants from under-represented backgrounds.