STM Start-Up Fair 2022 | Invitation to Apply
Seeking trailblazers, changemakers and pioneers
Calling start-ups: the ones boldly designing solutions to help transform scholarly communications. Small businesses leverage innovation to advance trusted research in effective, game-changing ways. Is this you — your start-up? If yes, we'd love to hear from you.
What's this about? STM champions start-ups that advance trusted research — the companies leveraging technology and innovation to zero in on niche issues; evolve scholarly communications in positive ways; to better serve society.
To that end, we're planning a Start-up Fair on December 6 — as part of our annual STM Week held at the Congress Centre in London. Here, start-ups can apply to present their business concept to a captive audience of STM members: academic publishers, learned societies, university presses, and other established players. Moreover, the event will culminate with the Vesalius Innovation Award ceremony, organized by Karger Publishers in collaboration with STM.
We invite you to submit your start-up to present at the fair — for free.
Benefits to start-ups
- Meet and greet the innovation leaders in the STM industry
- Stage time: present your business concept on stage in brief, lightning talks
- Prepare a table-top booth plus a poster to present your business offerings, and present live demos (WiFi available)
- Pre-scheduled meetings with STM members and fair attendees
- Enjoy the Vesalius Innovation Award ceremony by Karger Publishers
- Potential to win the STM Start-up Fair Audience Popularity Award (via live audience vote)
- Start-ups are invited to submit their business concept to STM via the form below by October 14.
- STM will review submissions and select presenters to participate at the Start-up Fair by October 31.
- By November 7, STM will invite STM members to pre-schedule one-on-one meetings with start-up presenters on the Start-up Fair date of December 6.
- On December 6, start-up presenters will pitch their business concepts to fair attendees (academic publishers, societies, universities, and other start-ups) at the Congress Centre in London.
- Live audience voting for the STM Start-up Fair Audience Popularity Award will be live.
- The event will wrap up with the Vesalius Innovation Award ceremony.
How to participate
- Please register using the below submission form to confirm your attendance at the Start-up Fair (Free for start-ups in our inaugural year)
- Submit your concept via this form below by 14 October
- Questions? Email Eefke Smit, Smit@stm-assoc.org
CONCEPT SUBMISSION FORM
The STM Start-up Fair Committee will review submissions and select start-up presenters based on the following criteria:
- Impact — potential reach and impact in advancing trusted research and scholarly communication innovations
- The creativity of concept — bold, innovative ideation
- Adaptability — potential for the concept to be integrated by academic publishers and relevant stakeholders
Please note: STM will review submissions by the Start-up Fair Committee and will make selections based on its own discretion using the criteria above. Explanations are not owed to submitters.
Events Terms and Conditions
Where an event has registration fees, cancellations made in writing up to 30 days before an event are eligible for a 50% refund. No refunds can be made for cancellations received on or after 30 days prior to the event date, however, substitutions may be made free of charge at any time.
Registration fees do not include insurance. Participants are advised to take out adequate personal insurance to cover travel, accommodation, cancellation and personal effects.