Staff Editor, Physics Magazine
Company : American Physical Society
Location : Remote (United States)
Closing Date : 9th December 2022
Website : https://aps.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a270i4211ffn
Staff Editor, Physics Magazine
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents more than 50,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world.
Physics Magazine is an online publication from the American Physical Society (APS). We are seeking a talented science communicator to join our team as a full-time Staff Editor. Physics Magazine features authoritative news and commentaries about research in the field of physics as a whole. The Staff Editor will be primarily responsible for identifying appropriate papers for coverage, commissioning and editing commentaries, and writing and editing short research summaries. In this role, you will also be expected to work on writing and editing other types of articles, such as interviews, news stories and feature stories and to promote Physics Magazine via social media, lab visits, and conferences. As the job develops, you may be asked to create and lead new sections of the publication and to contribute to the strategic development of the magazine.
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access within the United States, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with an outstanding total compensation package including salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off. Our Editorial Offices are located on Long Island. We are operational in most US states. The Editorial Department allows flexible work hours, responsiveness is required however during the core 9 am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time workday. The successful candidate will join a collaborative team of editors.
Is This You:
- Writing and editing articles about the physical sciences for a non-specialist audience.
- Identifying appropriate papers for coverage.
- Commissioning and editing expert-written commentaries; writing and editing short research summaries.
- Writing and editing other types of articles, such as interviews, news stories and feature stories.
- Promoting Physics Magazine through social media, lab visits and conferences.
- Working with a variety of professionals, including scientists, illustrators, freelance writers, web developers, and APS staff.
- Maintaining contact with journal editors and with the scientific community to obtain information about forthcoming research and important research trends.
- Contributing to the strategic development of the magazine.
- Creating and leading new sections of the publication.
- Performing related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree required. Master of Science in Physics or in a related field required. Ph.D. in Physics or related field preferred.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Master’s in Physics or related field.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience writing and/or editing articles about the physical sciences for a non-specialist audience.
- Experience working with experts on commentaries and a formal education in science journalism/communication preferred.
- Extensive experience writing and editing interviews, news stories and feature stories.
- Broad scientific vision.
- Experience in social media would be a plus.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Exceptional collaboration skills.
- Interest in exploring new forms of scientific storytelling.
- Ability to balance multiple assignments and to work under tight deadlines.
Travel: This position could require at times in office work, various geographic events and meeting attendance as instructed by your supervisor.
Our Editorial Offices are located on Long Island. We are operational in most US states. The Editorial Department allows flexible work hours, responsiveness is required however during the core 9 am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time workday. The successful candidate will join a collaborative team of editors.
This is Us:
Help us achieve our mission of advancing and diffusing the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community.
At APS, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
Our Core Values:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
Amazing 2022 Benefit Offerings:
- Flexible schedules and ability to work remotely
- 8% employer-paid retirement contribution
- Investment advisement services: 100% employer paid
- Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option
- Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based on medical plan enrollment
- Dental benefits: individual coverage 100% employer paid
- Vision benefits: individual and dependent coverage 100% employer paid
- Basic Life & Accident insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
- Supplemental Life & Accident insurance, including spouse & dependent child(ren) coverage
- Disability insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
- Healthcare, Commuter & Dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Vacation: 15 days annually
- Generous holiday leave: 14 paid days of significance; includes one week closure at the end of December
- Personal leave: 4 days annually
- Volunteer leave: 1 day annually
- Sick leave: 10 days annually
- 10 weeks employer-paid family leave
- College tuition reimbursement plan
- Job related seminar & continuing education
- Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn Learning on-demand courses
- Employee Assistance Program
- Mindfulness Meditation: live and on-demand classes
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All APS Employees must be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination via our secured vaccination portal Safeter upon hire, unless they have an HR approved medical or religious exemption. The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. We welcome you to apply today!