Program Manager, Strategic Research & Market Analysis
Company : ITHAKA
Location : Remote
Closing Date : 22nd October 2022
Website : https://www.ithaka.org/careers/?gh_jid=4027991005
ITHAKA’s mission is to expand access to knowledge and education around the world. Our services — Artstor, JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R — enable people everywhere to learn, to grow, and to overcome historical barriers to education. In carrying out our mission, as employees we feel a deep responsibility to each other and our well-being, and are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
ITHAKA is seeking a Program Manager for Strategic Research & Market Analysis to serve as part of the cross-functional team dedicated to mapping and scouting the future of our mission-driven organization, which is dedicated to improving access to knowledge and education for people around the world.
Reporting to our Vice President, Organizational Strategy and Libraries, Scholarly Communications and Museums, Ithaka S + R, you will work cross-functionally with internal research and consulting teams as well as business development and R&D teams in ITHAKA New Ventures, JSTOR Labs, and Ithaka S+R. You will also periodically interface with other business and product teams across the organization.
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Track the marketplace for technology products serving Higher Education, Scholarly Communication, and Academic Libraries.
- Identify opportunities in these markets by conducting market research, e.g., of the practices and needs of user and customer communities, by inputting into the development of survey and qualitative research projects and/or conducting them directly.
- Provide analysis of the comparator landscape for service provision across various categories in these markets, through desk research across multiple media, interviews, and other techniques.
- Create well-documented reports, executive synthesis, and other outputs to distill patterns and track trends across providers and markets.
- Educate others in the organization as well as partners and clients about patterns and trends.
- Provide project management and other cross-functional coordination in support of strategy development and alignment.
- Work cross-functionally to collaborate on key data and analysis, some of it under tight deadlines and other sources of pressure.
This position is currently configured as an individual contributor role, but it is possible that at some point in the future there could be management responsibility for another colleague.
Experience and Skills:
Any combination of professional experience, volunteer work, coursework, and other transferable skills may be applied toward these required qualifications:
- A strategic and business mindset that can be applied in our not-for-profit setting with a combination of mission/impact goals and revenue/P&L goals.
- The technical skills to conduct market analysis projects, for example, landscape reviews, competitor analysis, product comparisons, and/or market sizing/market share estimates.
- Deep understanding of, or meaningful interest in, the Higher Education, Scholarly Communication, and Academic Libraries marketplace.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize imperfect/uncertain information about a complex field and develop a point of view.
- Demonstrated ability to write succinct and compelling narratives independently with minimal editing required.
- Experience distilling information and analysis into non-narrative formats such as dashboards, charts, SWOTs, etc.
- Effective verbal communication skills and professional presence with organizational leaders.
This position requires that you have the ability to travel occasionally for in-person meetings and conferences.
Compensation and Benefits:
At ITHAKA we believe in openness and equity. Part of living those values is our commitment to clarity about salary, so candidates know what to expect. The pay range for this position is $70,000 - $80,000 per year. Base pay may vary with job-related knowledge, skills, experience, market location, and geography. Our total compensation package includes a no-cost health insurance premium option, an employer-funded retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program for all benefits-eligible staff.