Senior Assistant Editor
Company : BMJ
Location : London
Closing Date : 22/11/2019
Website : https://careers-bmj.icims.com/jobs/1196/senior-assistant-editor/job?mobile=false&width=1120&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=0&jun1offset=60
Position: Senior Assistant Editor
Salary: Up to £39,451 per annum
Start date: ASAP
BMJ Open is seeking a Senior Assistant Editor to join their in-house editorial team. The role will involve handling medical manuscripts through peer review and providing input on journal development, processes, and policies. The Senior Assistant Editor will also act as a mentor for the Assistant Editors. Strong organisational and communication skills are essential.
- Assessing submitted manuscripts against the journal’s aims and scope for suitability for peer review and rejecting unsuitable submissions
- Making post-peer review editorial decisions on whether to publish reviewed submissions, seeking second opinions from senior editors when necessary
- Handling publication/research ethics concerns
- Occasionally sourcing appropriate peer reviewers
- Working with the rest of the editorial team to ensure journal processes are as user-friendly and efficient as possible
- Ensuring the journal’s editorial policies are up-to-date
- Providing contributions to the journal blog and social media accounts
- Occasional attendance at medical and publishing events for outreach and market intelligence gathering
- Providing final opinions to Assistant Editors on whether to send new submissions for peer review and publish reviewed submissions; flagging to the Deputy Editor or Editor in Chief if necessary.
- Auditing editorial decisions and contributing to new editorial guidelines/ resources to support the training and development of Assistant Editors. Providing information to the team on a regular basis to help broaden their knowledge and decision making ability.
Suitable medical qualification or a scientific qualification and experience conducting research, for example in earning an MSc or PhD, plus relevant editorial experience:
- Experience handling manuscripts and of peer review processes
- Demonstrable understanding of open access
- IT competence, including MS Office and web skills
- High standard of written English required to communicate effectively and professionally with reviewers and authors
- Competitive salary
- Learning and development opportunities
- Great London location in BMA house, a spectacular grade II listed building
- Subsidised gym and canteen on-site
- Strong company values and shared mission to create a healthier world for all
If you have any questions or would like to discuss this role further in advance of your application please do not hesitate to contact Tashan Chong-Kan on 0203 6555508 or firstname.lastname@example.org
BMJ is an £80 million company, employing approximately 500 people worldwide with its headquarters in London and key offices in China, India and the United States. Its activities are guided by its mission to help achieve a healthier world and its dedication to superior financial performance. It advances healthcare worldwide by sharing knowledge and expertise to improve outcomes. BMJ is a wholly owned subsidiary of the British Medical Association (BMA).
The BMJ (formerly the British Medical Journal) is the company’s flagship publication which has the second highest impact factor in the UK and fifth highest in the world. It is also the fourth most widely cited medical journal in the world. The company also publishes over 50 specialty journals, several of which are produced in partnership with leading professional medical associations. Best Practice is BMJ’s successful point-of-care decision support tool and BMJ Learning is the centerpiece of several educational offerings.
BMJ takes pride in its people and is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. We value individuality and therefore welcome all qualified applications from a diverse range of candidates.