Publishing Technology Specialist – Publishing Platform
Company : Canadian Science Publishing
Location : Ottawa - Hybrid
Closing Date : 12th August 2022
Website : https://cdnsciencepub.com/about/careers
The Publishing Technology Specialist (Publishing Platform) has two key areas of responsibility:
1. administering the content management system, which entails
a. supporting ongoing website development and enhancement
b. troubleshooting problems
c. maintaining article XML
d. supporting website analytics
2. championing continuous process improvement, which entails
a. assessing existing workflows and making recommendations to optimize processes
b. nurturing a culture of continuous improvement
c. documenting workflows and processes, keeping documentation up to date, and providing training as needed
This position reports to the Director, Publishing Technologies and has no reports.
1. Administers the content management system that runs the publishing platform for our journals and books
a. Performs back-end configurations (e.g., setting up trusted proxies) and troubleshoots subscription offers and access codes for CSP and its clients.
b. Organizes and oversees the major release process for the web publishing platform, which entails coordinating beta testing, triaging problems, submitting support tickets, notifying clients, etc.
c. Maintains expert knowledge of the capabilities and configuration options of the publishing platform.
d. Oversees, maintains, and triages the queue of maintenance and change requests for the publishing platform, manages the website provider’s ticketing system, performs technical feasibility analysis when needed, and liaises with the platform vendor as needed.
e. Troubleshoots web platform problems that colleagues report in the internal website support ticketing system and reports regularly on the status of support requests.
f. Supports ongoing website development and enhancement, e.g., assists with the review of new and existing website features and services; assists with the implementation of new website features and services.
g. Maintains article XML by monitoring JATS4R developments, researching XML requirements for new journal features (e.g., novelty statements), maintaining XML documentation for composition vendors, and ensuring vendors implement XML changes correctly by performing regular audits.
h. Manages website analytics (Atypon Insights) and provides data to support business decisions.
i. Ensures indexing and aggregation of CSP content by managing the application process for indexing services (e.g., PubMed, DOAJ, Clarivate (Web of Science), and Scopus) and monitoring deposits to ensure that CSP content is complete and accurate.
2. Champions continuous improvement to ensure processes are efficient, cost-effective, and meet current industry standards.
a. Collaborates with colleagues to assess existing workflows and make recommendations to optimize processes
b. Identifies and develops continuous improvement strategies that will drive operational excellence, increased capacity, and cost reductions.
c. Develops and nurtures a culture of continuous improvement by facilitating process improvement exercises (e.g., Kaizen events), providing training and advice, soliciting suggestions, and leading implementations of improvements.
d. Develops and reports on KPIs as required
e. Documents workflows and processes and keeps documentation up to date.
f. Creates and maintains training materials, trains users on the use of platform tools and on general platform operations relevant to their roles.
3. Researches and assists with the implementation of new third-party tools and services for the publishing technology group.
4. Stays abreast of industry developments related to content delivery platforms and products, and of publishing technologies in general; and makes recommendations on whether CSP and its journals would benefit from the adopting them.
· Successful completion of a post-secondary diploma or degree or related experience with an emphasis on information and/or publishing, preferably in a scholarly publishing environment
· Experience with online publications site-management tools and access control technologies; familiarity with Atypon Systems’ platform preferred
· Experience developing and documenting production workflows and processes as well as an understanding of XML-first publishing workflows
· Experience working with XML(specifically JATS) and/or HTML
· Experience with project management tools and processes
· Experience re-imagining business processes and implementing process changes
· Possesses a keen understanding of peer review platforms and processes in scholarly publishing.
· Actively stays abreast of developments in their domain and pursues continuous learning through a variety of channels.
· Gains confidence and trust of others by demonstrating integrity, transparency, and authenticity in all interactions, and by contributing to a psychologically safe environment.
· Driver for continuous improvement, able to support and influence change, motivate others, and establish team consensus.
· Excellent facilitation and communication skills with the ability to engage diverse audiences and work effectively diverse technical and non-technical stakeholders.
· Ability to work independently and in a collaborative environment.
· Ability to manage and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
· Excellent critical thinking, analytical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to clearly and accurately document workflows and procedures.
· Data-driven: able to conduct research and testing, summarize findings, and make evidence-based recommendations.