Company : BMJ
Location : London / Remote
Closing Date : 04/08/2021
Website : https://careers-bmj.icims.com/jobs/1323/publishing-assistant/job
Position: Publishing Assistant
Contract: 12 month fixed term contract
Salary: £29,139 per annum
Start date: August 2021
BMJ combines a proud heritage with a cutting edge approach to medical publishing. Our general and speciality journals, evidence-based medicine products, learning and careers services combined to offer the medical community a comprehensive information support system that improves the decisions they make every day.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Publishing Assistant to work on a portfolio of leading specialist medical journals. This is a varied and busy role that requires good organisational, administration and communication skills.
Reporting to the Associate Publisher, you will provide general secretarial and administrative support for the publishing team. Responsibilities and key tasks will include, but not be limited to:
● Organising internal and external meetings, including travel arrangements
● Sending written communications to external stakeholders
● Attending and minuting meetings
● Maintaining and updating journal-related documentation and websites
● Assisting with journal performance reports, citation analysis and other desk research to help inform strategic development plans
● Overseeing financial administration for the department
● Maintaining accurate records for the department
● Educated to degree level or equivalent.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Proactive attitude.
● Excellent organisation skills.
● Ability to prioritise workload.
● Excellent attention to detail.
● Numeracy and proficiency in the use of common IT packages e.g. G suite, Microsoft Office.
● Some knowledge or experience of journal or academic publishing.
Why should you apply?
BMJ is a global healthcare knowledge provider with a vision for a healthier world. We share knowledge and expertise to improve healthcare outcomes. You may know us as the publisher of one of the world’s most cited general medical journals, The BMJ. We also publish over 70 specialty journals, many of which are the most influential titles in their field. We also offer digital professional development courses and clinical decision support tools to help medical institutions and clinicians tackle today’s most critical healthcare challenges.
Evidence underpins everything we do – it’s what makes us one of the world’s most trusted knowledge providers. And the figures speak for themselves. More than 50 million users from over 150 countries access our websites every year.
BMJ is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the British Medical Association (BMA), with nearly 500 employees worldwide. Our head office is located within the Grade II listed BMA House in Euston, London, with more offices in China, India, North America, and Wales. At BMJ we take equal opportunities very seriously, diversity and inclusion are more than just words, they are an organisational priority. We are building a culture where everyone feels able to bring their full, authentic selves to work. We encourage applications from under-represented groups and we are a Disability Confident Committed employer.
You will be able to join any of our employee-led networks focusing on: Gender, Cultural Diversity, Sexual Orientation, Mental Health and Well-being, Parents and Carers and Age. We offer flexible work arrangements to all our employees.
Those who come to work with us are assured of a rewarding career in an increasingly global company. In return, we offer a great place to work with a wide range of benefits, including:
● Twenty-five days holiday entitlement plus bank holidays, a BMA Day the opportunity to gain more holiday entitlement through long service employment
● Additional days’ leave for moving house, volunteering or getting married
● Onsite gym, fitness classes and subsidised canteen and cafeteria
● Double matching employer pension contribution, up to 12%● Multiple discounts [from major stores] through MyReward employee benefits platform.
● Season ticket loan, gym membership and cycle to work scheme
● Seven x salary life assurance cover
● Regular social events, diversity and inclusion groups, and charity fundraising initiatives to get involved in