Product Manager, Academic Market Strategy
Company : IEEE
Location : Piscataway, NJ
Closing Date : until filled
Website : https://ieee.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=PRO0000012A
If it impacts technology, IEEE has it covered. We publish technical journals, organize conferences and develop technology standards that help technological professionals exchange ideas, expand their knowledge, and move forward in their fields. With more than 400,000 members, IEEE is the world’s largest professional association advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. We are a catalyst for exciting breakthroughs in computing, sustainable energy systems, aerospace, communications, robotics, healthcare, and many other disciplines that improve the quality of life. Discover your future as part of the IEEE team. Consider the following opportunity:
Product Manager, Academic Market Strategy
The successful candidate will lead business development initiatives for academic markets worldwide. This leadership will drive and develop business models, planning activities, business analysis activities, content acquisition, and other activities to meet the changing needs the academic market. The Product Manager will report to the Director of Product Management and will work closely with Marketing, Market Research, Finance, Sales, Publication Technology, and Platform Design teams to create quality products and services that satisfy customer requirements. This role will also build and execute plans focused on meeting both short- and long-term growth objectives.
- Conduct and analyze market research to understand market changes and user workflows.
- Integrate customer needs into the ideation and development process by acquiring and using market data on business, technical and information delivery trends for accurate decision-making.
- Analyze overall go-to-market effectiveness, pricing, promotions, product bundles, positioning, and sales; present solutions to drive performance.
- Understand competitive landscape, including society and commercial publishers and information aggregators, to offer superior product value.
- Analyze existing qualitative and quantitative market research data, interview clients and prospects, and identify key market trends and issues, constituent needs, user/buyer personas and processes, and purchase drivers.
- Develop a robust process for capturing field intelligence from the sales channel, including competitive intelligence, behavioral segmentation data, and other relevant market information.
- Articulate vision and negotiate, persuade and gain support for strategic initiatives that fit within product portfolio and within overall IEEE strategy.
- Identify high quality, relevant content for inclusion in IEEE products and create and maintain relationships with these content partners.
- Work with Product Management to define, refine, expand, and promote value propositions for each product and service, driving growth and revenue for the business.
- Develop business plans with measurable revenue, net surplus and growth objectives.
- Develop strategy and proactively manage the end-to-end product lifecycle.
- Lead and facilitate ideation and collaboration among diverse internal and external stakeholders to recognize opportunity and results that meet customer requirements and drive new business.
- Develop and monitor product business plans, including developing pricing recommendations in conjunction with marketing staff and content creators; interface with IEEE marketing staff to develop sales goals, promotion plans and sales strategies.
- Support subscription-based renewals by ensuring that Sales follows a clearly outlined and defined go-to-market plan and ensuring that important activities are actioned in a logical sequence in the run-up to renewal dates.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience with an STM or other relevant B2B publisher developing, selling or marketing products or services.
- Understanding of the academic market and STM publishing industry, including customers, current issues, production, trends, and changes.
- Excellent communication, reporting and analytical skills.
- Ability to negotiate and manage profitability of relationships.
- Ability to work in a multi-dimensional organization driven by diverse views and needs.
- Strong analytical skills.
Join us in an environment where people look forward to coming to work! IEEE offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, 401(k) plan with company match, a defined contribution retirement plan, a tuition reimbursement program, flexible spending accounts, company paid life insurance, and a business casual dress code.
Please apply online by going to this URL: https://ieee.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=PRO0000012A
Only those resumes that go through the URL from the web address will be considered. NO THIRD PARTIES PLEASE.
For information on work demands and conditions required for this position, please consult the reference document, “Physical, Mental, and Work Environment Standards for IEEE Positions.” This position is classified under Category I – office positions.
IEEE is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
Visit www.ieee.org to viewdetails about open positions in one of our four offices:
Los Alamitos, CA; New York City; Piscataway, NJ; & Washington, DC.
The IEEE is an AffirmativeAction/Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.