Journals Manager, Publishing Services & Production
Company : The Royal Society of Chemistry
Location : Cambridge
Closing Date : 22/03/2020
Website : https://careers-rsc.icims.com/jobs/2427/journals-manager%2c-publishing-services-%26-production/job
We are looking for an individual with significant experience in STM publishing with the ability to perform the departmental manager role for the external production processes for our Journals on a temporary maternity cover basis.
You will be responsible for the management of the out-sourcing of production activities, which will include the management and performance management of a number of suppliers and their associated contracts.
The successful candidate will demonstrate extensive knowledge of all aspects of journal production processes including XML and associated workflows, which you will apply to ensure that production policies are implemented consistently across the department to high standards. You will also have responsibility for some of our internal production support teams, and will lead a team of 4 direct reports and up to 30 indirect reports covering the Supplier Relations team,the Customer Services Manager teams, the Copy Editing team and the Publishing Assistant team. A high degree of skill in management, motivation and development are needed to make a successful impact in this role.
We are looking for:
- A good honours degree in science (e.g. chemical science) is preferred, but not essential.
- Significant experience in STM publishing.
- Extensive knowledge of all aspects of aspects of journal production processes including XML and associated workflows.
- A broad range of functional knowledge and awareness of developments within electronic publishing, and external influences within the sector, particularly with respect to STM publishing.
- Ability to manage offshore suppliers.
- Previous experience of managing a team and developing strong working relationships.
- Previous experience of change management.
- Experience in workflow evaluation and management.
- Proven ability to work well as part of a team. Good team player but self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Good organisational and time-management skills, together with the ability to work under pressure, prioritise and to meet deadlines.
- Good communication skills in interacting with internal and external contacts are essential.
- Sound business acumen, and demonstrable negotiation skills.
- Good attention to detail.
- A proactive approach to problem solving.
A full job description is available here