Journals Launch Manager
Company : Royal Society of Chemistry
Location : Cambridge or London
Closing Date : 26 September 2021
Website : https://careers-rsc.icims.com/jobs/2803/journals-launch-manager/job
At the Royal Society of Chemistry, we publish the new research that is a catalyst for the chemistry that enriches our world. Collaboration is essential. We connect scientists with each other and society as a whole, so they can do their best work and make discoveries and innovation happen.
We develop, recognise and celebrate professional capabilities. We bring people together to spark new ideas and new partnerships. We support teachers to inspire future generations of scientists. And we speak up to influence the people making decisions that affect us all.
We are seeking a highly motivated publishing professional with strong organisational and strategic acumen as well as excellent communication and interpersonal skills to lead a new team responsible for overseeing the launch of a series of open access journals.
This new position has a key strategic role within the department and will be responsible for successfully delivering the operational and editorial components of the journal launches, including:
What you will be doing:
- Launching a series of new open access journals in the chemical sciences
- Contributing to a programme identifying ideas/opportunities for new journals
- Developing commissioning and content acquisition plans to ensure healthy flow of article submissions.
- Sourcing, engaging with and appointing Academic Editors to provide appropriate scientific leadership of the new journals.
- Collaborating with internal departments to ensure essential systems and promotional plans are delivered in time for journal launches.
- Community engagement and market analysis to develop an initial development strategy for each journal.
- Coordinating with other internal journal managers to manage the handover of journals following their successful launch.
- Setting and managing financial budgets for new journals during the launch phase
- Managing, leading and motivating a team of 2 direct reports, and a number of remunerated external Associate Editors.
We are looking for:
- Significant experience in STM journal publishing, including launching new journals, commissioning; an excellent understanding of the peer review process, editorial policy and marketing.
- A good honours degree in science.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills.
- Enthusiasm for open access and open science
- Proven ability to lead and motivate a team.
- Good organisational and time-management skills, together with the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally as required
- Previous experience of open access publishing
- Previous experience with Editorial Boards.
- Contacts with the relevant communities.
- Up-to-date knowledge of and passion for the chemical sciences.
At the Royal Society of Chemistry, we will support you in your career and reward your contribution with an excellent benefits package. If interested, please apply before the end of our closing date.
This is a Permanent full-time (35-hour week) position, based at either our London or Cambridge offices in the UK, with extensive national and international travel.
The role is based from our Cambridge or London office, however we are about to enter a period of piloting hybrid working, and you may be able to work from a location other than this, as agreed with your line manager. Applicants should be aware that there is an expectation that employees will attend the offices as needed for their role, and that permanent working arrangements away from the office may not be agreed in the future.
For a full job description, please clickhere.