Company : Royal Society of Chemistry
Location : Cambridge or London
Closing Date : 26 September 2021
Website : https://careers-rsc.icims.com/jobs/2781/executive-editor/job
At the Royal Society of Chemistry, we publish the new research that is a catalyst for the chemistry that enriches our world. Collaboration is essential. We connect scientists with each other and society as a whole, so they can do their best work and make discoveries and innovation happen.
We develop, recognise and celebrate professional capabilities. We bring people together to spark new ideas and new partnerships. We support teachers to inspire future generations of scientists. And we speak up to influence the people making decisions that affect us all.
We are seeking highly motivated publishing professionals with strong strategic acumen and excellent communication and interpersonal skills to lead a journal team managing a portfolio of journals.
The Executive Editor positions have a key strategic role within the department and are responsible for leading, setting and implementing the strategy for a portfolio and the individual journal strategies within it.
The successful candidates will have a high level of external contact with the relevant research communities and will use this market information to develop strategic priorities.
What you will be doing:
- Setting, developing and implementing the portfolio and individual journal strategies and delivering KPIs in terms of market share, quality, reputation and customer service.
- Developing the best authorship and readership for the journals, through networking, personal contact, commissioning, attendance at conferences, site visits and roadshows etc.
- Managing, leading and motivating a team of up to 5 direct reports, and a number of remunerated external Associate Editors.
We are looking for:
- Significant experience in STM journal publishing, including commissioning; an excellent understanding of the peer review process, editorial policy and marketing.
- A good honours degree in science (chemical sciences normally preferred).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills.
- Enthusiasm for open access and open science
- Proven ability to lead and motivate a team.
- Good organisational and time-management skills are required together with the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to travel extensively nationally and internationally.
- Up-to-date knowledge of and passion for the chemical sciences.
- Previous experience of open access publishing
- Previous experience with Editorial Boards.
- Contacts with the relevant communities.
At the Royal Society of Chemistry, we will support you in your career and reward your contribution with an excellent benefits package. If interested, please apply before the end of our closing date.
This is a Permanent full-time (35-hour week) position, based at either our London or Cambridge offices in the UK, with extensive national and international travel.
The role is based from our Cambridge or London office, however we are about to enter a period of piloting hybrid working, and you may be able to work from a location other than this, as agreed with your line manager. Applicants should be aware that there is an expectation that employees will attend the offices as needed for their role, and that permanent working arrangements away from the office may not be agreed in the future.
For a full job description, please clickhere.