Editorial Assistant, Books
Company : Royal Society of Chemistry
Location : Cambridge
Closing Date : 22nd May 2022
Website : https://careers-rsc.icims.com/jobs/3019/editorial-assistant%2c-books/job
An opportunity has arisen for an Editorial Assistant to join the Royal Society of Chemistry’s Books Commissioning team.
This role provides critical editorial and administrative support to a small team of Commissioning Editors responsible for commissioning a highly successful and growing books programme. In this role you will be the first point of contact for our renowned Editors and Authors after the book is contracted, taking responsibility for dealing with queries as and when they arise. Your good organisational and time-management skills will play a key part in ensuring that manuscripts are delivered to schedule.
This is an ideal role for a graduate, with an interest in science, who is looking to move into Publishing.
Your responsibilities will include:
- To be the first point of contact for Editors and Authors for any queries they may have during the typescript preparation and delivery.
Post publication Work:
- Conduct post-publication work for titles: sending copies for review, arranging complimentary copies for distribution to Editors/Authors, and to maintain appropriate records of this.
- Ensuring regular communication with Commissioning Team regarding their projects.
- Managing shared inboxes.
- Schedule and manage the Books meetings, including preparing and circulating documentation in advance, taking minutes and ensuring accurate records are kept.
- To enter project information into the Books’ database taking responsibility for data accuracy/integrity.
And other additional duties for example:
- Proactively seek possible improvement to processes.
We are looking for:
- Graduate with an interest in science
- Good organisational and time-management skills are required together with the ability to work under pressure and prioritise to meet deadlines.
- Good communications skills and proven ability to work as part of a team.
- Good attention to detail.
- Able to work with minimal supervision and be responsible for own workload.
- Previous administrative and/or STM publishing experience would be an advantage, but is not essential.
The RSC supports development and offers excellent benefits.
The contractual base for this role is our Cambridge office, however we are currently embracing hybrid working, and therefore you will have the opportunity to work from a location other than this within the UK, as agreed with your line manager. Applicants should be aware that there is an expectation that employees will attend the offices as needed for their role.
Visit our Work For Us website to learn more about us, our Equal Opportunities Statement and Inclusive Culture Pledge.
If you are interested, please apply before the end of our closing date.
Download the full job description here.