Editorial Assistant (12 Months FTC)
Company : IOP Publishing
Location : Bristol
Closing Date : 10/10/2021
Website : http://ioppublishingcareers.org/vacancies/6159/STM/editorial_assistant_12_months_ftc/
TheEditorial Assistant will provide high-quality and timely service and supportfor authors, reviewers and in-house Publishing and production staff as articlesare driven through the publication process. The job holder will also ensure allour data is of the highest quality and up-to-date at all times.
TheEditorial Assistant role is intrinsic to all peer review outcomes and isintegrated within the peer review team. Excellent author/reviewer servicecontributes to the attraction and retention of top authors and this is criticalto the future success of IOP’s journal business. As the primary point of contactfor authors and reviewers, the Editorial Assistant is in the front line interms of delivering this service.
Throughthe administration of one or more journal titles, the Editorial Assistantdrives articles through the publication process from receipt to publication.
EditorialAssistants work as part of a team under the supervision of Editors and providecover at busy times/in the case of absence so that group priorities are met andworkloads are managed in the most effective way. Following best practice and procedures is keyto this role.
EditorialAssistants are aligned to a portfolio of journals and support in-housePublishing and production staff, as well as maintaining good quality data whichis held on our systems.
Key job accountabilities include:
· Processing new submissions into the peer review system andproviding final checks on accepted content before passing to Production.
· Provides high-quality service to authors and reviewers.
· Follows agreed best-practice procedures to ensure timely and efficientmovement of articles through the publication process; minimizesreceipt-to-first-decision and acceptance-to-publication times.
· Provides cover within the team as instructed by the Editor /Managing Editor.
· Keeps team informed of any problems which may arise with oursystems or issues which will affect the team.
· Ensure a 24-hour response time to customer queries.
Successfulapplicants should demonstrate the following:
· Computer literate in Microsoft Word, Excel, e-mail; with abilityto learn new computer skills.
· Excellent communications skills (both written and verbal).
· Excellent organizational, time and task management skills;methodical in approach.
· Good attention to detail.
· Ability to work collaboratively across the organisation – withinPublishing, authors, reviewers, and other departments.
· A well motivated person who can work alone and also as part of ateam.
· Prioritisation of own workload on a daily basis to ensure teamtargets are met.
· Flexible approach to working on a number of titles assigned to theteam as directed to achieve Publishing objectives.
· The role is process driven and therefore consistency and attentionto detail is key to effective performance in the role, which in turn is vitalto the success of IOP’s journals Publishing Department.
· Knowing when to escalate customer queries to Editors.
· Ability to draft appropriate correspondence to customers of alllevels.
· Good general education, ideally degree or equivalent.
About the benefits:
Inaddition to a competitive salary, we offer employees a comprehensive benefitspackage including an excellent pension scheme, discretionary annual bonusscheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and generous annual leave,and a range of flexible benefits including cycle to work and gym membership.
Ourmodern and contemporary offices are based in the thriving city centre ofBristol, a stone’s throw away from Temple Meads train station, and withinwalking distance of Cabot Circus shopping centre, and numerous cafés andrestaurants. Named on more than one occasion as the best city in the UK to livein, Bristol is a cosmopolitan and creative city boasting a historic harbour,internationally renowned cultural institutions and home to world-classfestivals and events.
The contractual location of this role is from our Bristol office, butmost employees are continuing to work from home until later this year, and infuture we will be moving to a more dynamic and blended combination of officeand remote working.
Toapply, please submit your CV and a covering letter through our careers sitehighlighting your previous experience and how it applies to the role, and whyyou are interested in this opportunity and IOP Publishing.
IOPPublishing is an international scientific publisher, through which leading-edgeresearch is distributed worldwide. Our rapidly expanding journals programme ispublished alongside other sources of scientific information in the form ofeBooks, magazines and conference proceedings. Other publications include easilyaccessible community and regional websites. We are a world leader in thedevelopment of electronic publishing for the scientific community and haveoffices in Europe, Asia and the US. Working in the interests of scienceand scientists, we aim to maximise the impact of the research we publish.
IOPPublishing is central to the Institute of Physics, a not-for-profit society.Any financial surplus earned by IOP Publishing goes to supporting science throughthe activities of the Institute. With a continuing focus on growth, werecognise that every single person has a real part to play if we’re to achieveour aim of becoming the world’s leading publisher in our field.
We are seeking a diverse range of candidates and particularly welcomeapplicants from under-represented backgrounds.