Director, Publishing Operations
Company : American Psychological Association
Location : Washington, DC
Closing Date : 02/02/2019
Website : https://bit.ly/2QfrwLk
The American Psychological Association (APA), a leading scholarly and professional society based in Washington DC, with a large publishing program of journals, books and online solutions for scholars and students, is looking to hire a Director of Operations for its publishing organization.
The position reports to the Head of Business & Planning acts as the primary liaison to other APA teams and departments, in support of the association’s publishing priorities and the broader association.
The Director of Operations will oversee core operational capabilities and processes across the publishing organization, manage key projects aimed at improving execution against the publishing strategy, ensure alignment across the various publishing functions, and liaise directly with stakeholders across the association to make sure we effectively and efficiently serve our customers.
The ideal candidate has extensive experience managing and improving operational processes of publishing programs at large scholarly associations, or not for profit organizations.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred
- Professional development and certifications in operational methodologies (for example Agile, Lean, Project Management) strongly preferred
- 8 years of progressive experience in a complex organizational environment including supervisory and administration experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in scholarly association with book and journal programs or working within a non-profit environment preferred
Interpersonal and Technical Skills Required:
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, organizational skills and managerial ability
- Ability to interact and influence at senior level of organization and work strategically and collaboratively across functions, teams, levels and departments towards shared goals
- Established skills in planning and managing multiple and diverse organizational needs
- Ability to think long term and strategically while balancing competing needs
- Demonstrated ability to provide high level of service, creativity and work ethic
- Develop relationships and establish collaboration with partners and colleague
- Experience with book and journal fulfilment systems and processes required
- Experience managing relationships with printers and book resellers such as Amazon required
- Experience in process improvement projects and initiatives required
- Experience with project management software tools.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Manage the book and journal fulfilment processes with APA departments and external partners
- Represent APA Publications on cross-functional agile teams
- Establish, track and manage service level agreements between key APA departments regarding the fulfilment of books and journals
- Optimize services levels and results from external fulfilment and printing partners
- Provide operational and project management support to APA Publishing at the direction of the Head of Business & Planning
- Explore and recommend operational improvement projects across APA Publishing where appropriate
- Manages successful completion of all tasks assigned including managing contracting process and ensuring compliance of vendor service level agreements.
- Responsible for program management and risk mitigation strategies to ensure all milestones are met. Participates in special projects as required.
- Supervise permissions staff and B&P coordinator
The American Psychological Association (APA) represents118,400 psychologists, students, and affiliates, primarily in the U.S. and Canada but also in other countries around the world. APA is a scientific and professional organization categorized as a 501(c)(3) and has an annual operating budget of about $110 million. Along with its 501(c)(6) companion organization, APA Services, Inc., APA has about 600 employees. The American Psychological Association is located at 750 First Street, NE, Washington D.C., near Union Station. It is Metro accessible from the Red Line, VRE (Virginia) and MARC (Maryland/ West Virginia) commuter trains. For more information, please visit www.apa.org/.
Qualified candidates must apply online through APA’s applicant system and attach a resume and cover letter specifying your salary expectations. Applications that are submitted without both documents are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed for consideration. Candidates that are invited for an interview will be asked to produce a writing sample. Once your application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Please make sure to check your Spam folder if you do not receive an email from us.
The American Psychological Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected categories covered under local law.