Director, Library Marketing
Company : American Psychological Association
Location : Washington, DC
Closing Date : 04/30/2018
Website : http://bit.ly/1NJ8gy1
The American Psychological Association is looking for a library marketing leader to reinvent our approach to communicating with and collaborating with research libraries. We don’t want to look or sound or be like other scholarly publishers…APA is different, and we need your skills, knowledge and experience to help ensure that the library community understands this and to help ensure that APA is a true part of the scholarly communications community. If your idea of a good time is hobnobbing at the Charleston Conference, if your day starts with a read through Liblicense posts, if you’re passionate about marketing in the best sense of the word, we want to hear from you. Your success will be APA’s success, as we continue our efforts to advance psychological science and education, to advocate for affordable health and mental health care, and to promote legislative actions that empower vulnerable communities.
Education and Experience:
- A master’s degree or MBA is required (or 10+ years of equivalent experience).
- Minimum of 7+ years of marketing and brand management experience in an organization with intellectual property products and services that are sold into the academic library market.
- Deep understanding of the issues impacting scholarly publishing and scholarly communication, including trends in library purchasing, changing business models for scholarly content, Open Access, Open Science, Scholarly Collaboration Networks and other new technologies affecting scholarly communication.
- Deep experience in the techniques of understanding customers and users, including needs-based segmentation, persona development and journey mapping.
- Experience developing content marketing that both creates awareness and identifies leads.
- Experience using social media to engage a target audience, create awareness and validate a brand.
- Experience managing teams of high performing professional staff.
- Experience managing and tracking marketing and promotional expenses and effectiveness.
- Preferred: Have a strong network of thought leader librarians and among organizations who sell content into the academic library market.
- Preferred: Experience marketing to the academic libraries internationally.
- Develop and execute the go-to-market strategy for APA journal, book and database products sold into the academic library market globally.
- Understand the way APA products solve market problems. Create internal positioning documents that will be used to develop external value proposition messages focused on each key buyer or persona in the library market. Connect the value proposition to the APA brand.
- Research and document the buying process that librarians use to purchase journal, book and database products. Understand the barriers that these individuals encounter during their selection process and the differentiators that make a product more likely to be purchased or, in the case of subscriptions, cancelled. Define the archetypical buyers involved in the purchasing process.
- Develop and execute the strategies and tactics for generating awareness and leads for each fiscal quarter, including key programs and events with measurements and goals.
- Measure and tune marketing programs to ensure effectiveness and alignment with APA goals.
- Monitor competitor positioning and marketing approach, and use that knowledge in devising APA’s marketing strategy and tactics.
- Thought Leadership: create and deliver thoughtful information, reinforcing APA’s reputation for trustworthiness and excellence, to influence librarians. Focus collateral and content marketing for key personas and specific steps of the buying process.
- Collaborate effectively with Sales, and develop a lead generation process that is designed to generate and nurture qualified leads with an objective to turn prospects into satisfied customers.
- Where it will be effective, utilize social media to engage our target audience, create awareness of our value proposition and validate the APA brand.
- Provide product and market expertise for events such as conferences and webinars.
- Collaborate with third-party sellers to ensure that there’s a consistent marketing message that supports the APA brand.
- Develop and execute strategies to market journal subscriptions and database packages to APA members and other individuals.
- Effectively lead a small team of professional staff.
- Effectively collaborate with the Marketing Operations team to execute targeted campaigns, to develop creative, impactful collateral and to attend conferences that will help us achieve our strategic goals.
The American Psychological Association, located at 750 First St NE, Washington D.C., was named a 2014 recipient of the Washington Post Top Workplace. It is metro accessible from the Red Line.
Qualified candidates must apply online through APA’s applicant system and attach a cover letter and resume specifying your salary expectations. Applications that are submitted without both documents are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed for consideration. Once your application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Please make sure to check your Spam folder if you do not receive an email from us.
The American Psychological Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected categories covered under local law.