Associate Editor, PRL
Company : American Physical Society
Location : Remote
Closing Date : 31st May 2022
Website : https://aps.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a270i42eo4o2
Associate Editor, PRL
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents more than 50,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world.
Would you like to join our close-knit team of editors running the world’s leading physics journal? As an Associate Editor of Physical Review Letters, you would handle all phases of the peer review process and ultimately decide which papers we publish. For this important work, we seek a dynamic and personable individual with a strong scientific background in particle, nuclear, or astrophysics, and a broad perspective. Our editors stay engaged with the physics community and abreast of the latest research by attending meetings and visiting research institutions around the world. In addition, editors participate in various editorial initiatives and cross-departmental APS projects.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and are open to researchers from a variety of backgrounds. We will train you to develop the editorial skills needed to be part of our team.
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access within the United States, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with an outstanding total compensation package including salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
Is This You:
- Manage all aspects of peer review for a suite of manuscripts. This includes determining if review is warranted, selecting referees, evaluating responses, and deciding whether to publish.
- Maintain close contact with the other PRL editors and with the editors of other journals in the Physical Review portfolio.
- Help select and briefly summarize papers to highlight.
- Keep up with current and emerging physics research.
- Build ties with the community, especially via our Editorial Board and through outreach.
- Participate in editorial and cross-departmental APS projects.
Education: A PhD and postdoctoral experience in particle, nuclear, or astrophysics. PRL covers all areas of physics research, so we seek those with a broad background and outlook.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of 1 year of postdoctoral experience.
- PRL covers all areas of physics research, so we seek those with a broad background and outlook.
- Excellent knowledge of the scientific research literature and existing research groups in the area of coverage.
- Strong sense of integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to make prompt independent evaluations and decisions.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills. Additional languages are also useful.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work well both alone and as part of a team.
Travel: The position requires some business travel within and outside the US, to attend conferences and events, and to interact with researchers at research institutions and universities.
Our Editorial Offices are located on Long Island. We are operational in most US states. The Editorial Department allows flexible work hours, responsiveness is required however during the core 9 am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time workday. The successful candidate will join a collaborative international team of editors across the Physical Review journals.
This is Us:
Help us achieve our mission of advancing and diffusing the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community.
At APS, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
Core values are essential to shaping the culture of an organization. They provide the structure and guidance for how we conduct ourselves in our day-to-day interactions. Every employee has a responsibility for upholding these values. The behaviors and actions associated with demonstrating competency in these Core Values are described in a separate document.
Our Core Values:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
Amazing 2022 Benefit Offerings:
- Flexible schedules and ability to work remotely
- 8% employer-paid retirement contribution
- Investment advisement services: 100% employer paid
- Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option
- Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based on medical plan enrollment
- Dental benefits: individual coverage 100% employer paid
- Vision benefits: individual and dependent coverage 100% employer paid
- Basic Life & Accident insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
- Supplemental Life & Accident insurance, including spouse & dependent child(ren) coverage
- Disability insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
- Healthcare, Commuter & Dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Vacation: 15 days annually
- Generous holiday leave: 14 paid days of significance; includes one week closure at the end of December
- Personal leave: 4 days annually
- Volunteer leave: 1 day annually
- Sick leave: 10 days annually
- 10 weeks employer-paid family leave
- College tuition reimbursement plan
- Job related seminar & continuing education
- Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn Learning on-demand courses
- Employee Assistance Program
- Mindfulness Meditation: live and on-demand classes
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All APS Employees must be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination via our secured vaccination portal Safeter upon hire, unless they have an HR approved medical or religious exemption. The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. We welcome you to apply today! The deadline for all applications is May, 31, 2022.