Assistant Publisher – Fixed Term
Company : IOP Publishing
Location : Bristol
Closing Date : 29/08/2021
Website : http://ioppublishingcareers.org/vacancies/6151/STM/assistant_publisher_fixed_term/
Assistant Publisher (fixed-term)
The Assistant Publisher will provide commissioning, administrative and title management support and coordination for the Journals Development team so they can achieve profitable growth in output, quality and reputation of our journal publishing.
Key job accountabilities include:
• To provide timely and effective administrative support to the Journals Development teams.
• Coordinating the activity of external journal stakeholders as directed(e.g. coordinating the content for Board meetings).
• Monitoring and running reports for Senior Publishers on journal performance against agreed targets.
• Assist with data retrieval for custom reporting and analysis for journal strategies and commissioning plans, by using both internal reporting systems and external resources.
• Acting as first point of contact for external stakeholders - answering and escalating queries from authors, guest editors, partners.
• Keep databases, as well as commissioning and contact databases up to date to ensure accuracy of information and effective communication.
• Carry out desk-based commissioning for a list of journals, in line with journal commissioning plans
• Day-to-day management of special issues, liaising with external Guest Editors as necessary
• Regularly inform Publisher and Senior Publisher of commissioning activity progress
• Provide administrative support for the portfolio’s commissioning programme, ensuring that relevant contact data is accurate and managed incompliance with GDPR
• Providing administrative assistance in the development of new product and/or journal development proposals.
• Providing support for department-wide Publishing Development projects including oversight of relevant continuous improvement initiatives.
• Actively build professional knowledge and skills to enable continued performance improvement in the role.
• Continually seeking to expand core knowledge and skills in journals publishing.
• Building publishing industry knowledge.
• Development of business process analysis and continuous improvement skills/knowledge
Successful applicants should demonstrate the following:
• Undergraduate Degree (BSc or BA) required
• Publishing experience in STM publishing (books or journals) desirable but not essential.
• Experience of or the ability to work with financial information.
• Awareness of the role of academic research journals.
• Interest in scientific developments.
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) to work effectively with internal colleagues and external stakeholders (authors,referees, editors, board members and society partners).
• Strong working knowledge of Excel.
• Strong customer service ethos.
• Ability to work autonomously and also as part of a team.
• Good attention to detail.
• Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise effectively.
• Well-developed analytical skills with the ability to independently solve problems.
• Willingness and ability to develop business process analysis and continuous improvement skills/knowledge.
• Good commercial awareness, ideally of the STM industry.
About the benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer employees a comprehensive benefits package including an excellent pension scheme, discretionary annual bonus scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and generous annual leave, and a range of flexible benefits including cycle to work and gym membership.
Our modern and contemporary offices are based in the thriving city centre of Bristol, a stone’s throw away from Temple Meads train station, and within walking distance of Cabot Circus shopping centre, and numerous cafés and restaurants. Named on more than one occasion as the best city in the UK to live in, Bristol is a cosmopolitan and creative city boasting a historic harbour, internationally renowned cultural institutions and home to world-class festivals and events.
The contractual location of this role is from our Bristol office, but most employees are continuing to work from home until later this year, and in future we will be moving to a more dynamic and blended combination of office and remote working.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter through our careers site highlighting your previous experience and how it applies to the role, and why you are interested in this opportunity and IOP Publishing.
IOP Publishing is an international scientific publisher, through which leading-edge research is distributed worldwide. Our rapidly expanding journals programme is published alongside other sources of scientific information in the form of eBooks, magazines and conference proceedings. Other publications include easily accessible community and regional websites. We are a world leader in the development of electronic publishing for the scientific community and have offices in Europe, Asia and the US. Working in the interests of science and scientists, we aim to maximise the impact of the research we publish.
IOP Publishing is central to the Institute of Physics, a not-for-profit society. Any financial surplus earned by IOP Publishing goes to supporting science through the activities of the Institute. With a continuing focus on growth, we recognise that every single person has a real part to play if we’re to achieve our aim of becoming the world’s leading publisher in our field.
We are seeking a diverse range of candidates and particularly welcome applicants from under-represented backgrounds.