Company : BMJ
Location : London
Closing Date : 21/01/2020
Website : https://careers-bmj.icims.com/jobs/1200/assistant-editor/job
Position: Assistant Editor
Contract: Fixed Term
Salary: £35,506 per annum
Start date: ASAP
BMJ is seeking an Assistant Editor with a life sciences and publishing background to join its veterinary journals team for a fixed term. Part-time positions will be considered. The role will involve commissioning, editing and typesetting articles, as well as providing input on journal development. Strong organisational and communication skills are essential.
You will join a small team working for two of the leading publications in the field: Vet Record (weekly) and In Practice (monthly) - both official journals of the British Veterinary Association.
Your role will involve:
- To commission, edit and typeset content for the management and opinion sections for In
- To edit and typeset clinical and surveillance articles.
- To produce and layout content for Vet Record, as required.
- Attend conferences and inform content as required.
- Organise and manage editorial board meetings for the practice management advisory group.
- Relevant life sciences degree
- Demonstrable competence in scientific publishing
- Ideally, evidence of training in writing and editing
- Knowledge of using InDesign, Photoshop and manuscript submissions systems (ideally Scholar One).
- Competent in using social media
The role requires you to be adaptable and work accurately and quickly. A flexible approach, initiative and the ability to come up with new ideas are also a must.
- Competitive salary
- Learning and development opportunities
- Great London location in BMA house, a spectacular grade II listed building
- Subsidised gym and canteen on-site
- Strong company values and shared mission to create a healthier world for all
If you have any questions or would like to discuss this role further in advance of your application please do not hesitate to contact Tashan Chong-Kan on 0203 6555508 or firstname.lastname@example.org
BMJ is an £80 million company, employing approximately 500 people worldwide with its headquarters in London and key offices in China, India and the United States. Its activities are guided by its mission to help achieve a healthier world and its dedication to superior financial performance. It advances healthcare worldwide by sharing knowledge and expertise to improve outcomes. BMJ is a wholly owned subsidiary of the British Medical Association (BMA).
The BMJ (formerly the British Medical Journal) is the company’s flagship publication which has the second highest impact factor in the UK and fifth highest in the world. It is also the fourth most widely cited medical journal in the world. The company also publishes over 50 specialty journals, several of which are produced in partnership with leading professional medical associations. Best Practice is BMJ’s successful point-of-care decision support tool and BMJ Learning is the centerpiece of several educational offerings.
BMJ takes pride in its people and is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. We value individuality and therefore welcome all qualified applications from a diverse range of candidates.