Assistant Editor (Vetinary)
Company : BMJ
Location : London
Closing Date : 05/01/2020
Website : https://careers-bmj.icims.com/jobs/1200/assistant-editor/job
Position: Assistant Editor
Salary: £35,506 per annum
Start date: ASAP
BMJ is seeking an Assistant Editor with a solid background in publishing, or a science graduate with publishing experience to join its veterinary journals team. The role will involve commissioning, editing and typesetting articles, as well as providing input on journal development. Strong organisational and communication skills are essential. You will join a small team working for two of the leading publications in the field: Vet Record (weekly) and In Practice (monthly) - both official journals of the British Veterinary Association.
Your role will involve:
- Assisting with the production (editing and typesetting) of Vet Record and In Practice content, ensuring the readability and accuracy of articles
- Attending conferences and commissioning/writing content where relevant
- Providing contributions to the journal's social media accounts
- Managing one of the journal's advisory editorial boards. This will involve organising board meetings with external editors, and recording and following up on action points
Ideally a life sciences graduate, with a background in scientific publishing.
- Well-rounded editorial skills
- IT competence, ideally experience of using Adobe Indesign
- High standard of written English required to edit effectively, as well as to communicate clearly with authors/reviewers
The role requires you to be adaptable and work accurately and quickly. A flexible approach, initiative and the ability to come up with new ideas are also a must.
- Competitive salary
- Learning and development opportunities
- Great London location in BMA house, a spectacular grade II listed building
- Subsidised gym and canteen on-site
- Strong company values and shared mission to create a healthier world for all
If you have any questions or would like to discuss this role further in advance of your application please do not hesitate to contact Tashan Chong-Kan on 0203 6555508 or firstname.lastname@example.org
BMJ is an £80 million company, employing approximately 500 people worldwide with its headquarters in London and key offices in China, India and the United States. Its activities are guided by its mission to help achieve a healthier world and its dedication to superior financial performance. It advances healthcare worldwide by sharing knowledge and expertise to improve outcomes. BMJ is a wholly owned subsidiary of the British Medical Association (BMA).
The BMJ (formerly the British Medical Journal) is the company’s flagship publication which has the second highest impact factor in the UK and fifth highest in the world. It is also the fourth most widely cited medical journal in the world. The company also publishes over 50 specialty journals, several of which are produced in partnership with leading professional medical associations. Best Practice is BMJ’s successful point-of-care decision support tool and BMJ Learning is the centerpiece of several educational offerings.
BMJ takes pride in its people and is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. We value individuality and therefore welcome all qualified applications from a diverse range of candidates.