Company : Oxford University Press (OUP)
Location : Oxford
Closing Date : 12/02/2017
Website : https://eu1.advorto.com/OUP/VacancyInformation.aspx?VId=20580
As a department of the University of Oxford, OUP provides a secure and prosperous environment where talent and journals can flourish. OUP is a true partner with editors and societies, helping to expand their global influence by increasing journal reach and by publishing the highest quality content. This role is part of the OUP Global Academic Business; publishing books, journals and digital resources for the research, professional and higher education markets.
Journal publishing is going through an unprecedented period of change, with market, economic and technological developments significantly affecting the way new information is presented and delivered. Oxford University Press (OUP) is seeking to recruit an experienced and talented senior publisher to manage the development and growth of titles as part of our fast-growing science journals portfolio.
About the role
As a Senior Publisher you will manage and develop a portfolio of existing life science journals, as well as working cooperatively with the rest of the journal publishing team to acquire titles and grow the business. Externally, you will be working with a varied group of international collaborators and specialists, whilst internally you will engage with a group of talented, friendly and dedicated colleagues across the whole organisation.
Core responsibilities include:
- Managing the strategic development of the list and driving new business development
- Monitor a target list of journals, respond to RFPs, and lead bids for society journal contracts
- Manage and develop a portfolio of owned and society life science journals
- Grow and develop the journals (both subscription and open access) and improve the quality of content whilst ensuring excellent service from across the business
- Negotiate and manage editor and title contracts
- Build and develop strong relationships with current, and potential, OUP editors, authors and societies
- Manage relationship with internal functional areas and provide leadership across the department
- Be part of the acquisitions team, develop community networks, and contribute to the continued growth of the OUP science journals program through new contracts and journal launches
- Manage one or more members of staff in the editorial team
- Represent OUP at external community and industry events
- Be able and willing to travel internationally
The successful candidate will:
- Have over 5 years’ experience of publishing, ideally within journals
- Have experience of managing third party relationships
- Have experience of bidding for journal contracts
- Be an excellent communicator and organizer and have the ability to manage multiple relationships with diverse clients
- Have experience of people management
- Have previously provided editorial leadership both externally and internally
- Be creative and highly motivated with the drive to succeed
- Be a self-starter and team player
- Be confident meeting deadlines, working under pressure, and making decisions
- Be educated to degree level or equivalent, ideally in a science discipline.
Competitive salary depending on skills and experience plus excellent benefits package.
All applications must be made via the OUP website, please follow the link to apply.