What do I get from STM?
STM provides our members many benefits. As global publishing changes, we strive to keep up with our members’ needs. Go to Joining STM to request more information or complete the application form.
“STM covers all the issues and is a resource we turn to again and again – we can’t imagine not being a member of this important association.”
Publisher of Science and Director of the AAAS Office of Publishing and Member Services
STM provides expert and vigorous representation and information on issues crucial to our members, helping them adapt and thrive in the changing global environment.
Global Publisher Advocacy - Copyright & Legal Affairs
- Copyright & Legal Affairs - Actively engaging with international stakeholders on copyright and legal issues including enforcement STM Online Piracy Guidelines for members to evaluate and investigate online pirate websites and suggestions for actions.
- We work with the Publishers Association (PA) in offering the Copyright Infringement Portal
- Offering STM Permissions Guidelines on the re-use of limited amounts of material from published works which have helped STM member companies.
Global Publisher Advocacy - Public Affairs
- Public Affairs - Advocating public policies recognizing the intellectual contribution of publishers in the usage, discovery, dissemination and preservation of global scientific knowledge
- We work with national and international organisations, industries, research communities, governmental, professional and regulatory bodies, promoting the value that publishers add to scholarly communication
- Providing members with advocacy toolkits including videos, handouts and messaging workshops
- Keeping members up-to-date and informed through the STM News, website, social media, members only briefings, guidelines and reports
- Members Only. Through our website and Member Only Forums, we provide members with briefings on copyright, public policy and legal matters.
- The STM newsletter 'Membership Matters' provides members only with in-depth briefings, data and trends – 10 annual issues
- Industry Jobs - The latest jobs from our members
Representing Your Needs
- Members represent their needs and interests through the STM Board, working groups and committees: Communications, Copyright & Legal Affairs, Future Lab, Library Relations, Membership Development, Public Affairs and event programme committees
Conferences, Seminars and Training
- STM Events - Insights, analysis and networking for senior executives, middle and junior managers - in Europe, the US and Asia - discounts for members
- Annual Spring Conference with satellite meetings in the U. S
- STM runs highly rated and challenging junior and middle-management courses based on real-world scenarios - STM Master Class and Intensive Journal Publishing
Standards & Technology
- We are actively following and assessing developments and innovations for members through our Standards & Technology program
- STM works with stakeholders ensuring the publisher perspective is included in ongoing standards developments, like IDF, EDItEUR, APA, CrossRef, Codata, ICSTI, DataCite, NISO and NFAIS.
Publishers participate in collective publishing activities bringing developing countries access to STM content
- ARDI – Access to Research for Development and Innovation (WIPO)
- patientINFORM – providing access to research on diagnosis and treamente of specific diseases
“STM provides the whole scholarly publishing industry with a range of very important services, particularly for smaller players like CABI. . . a sign of STM’s importance that so many high calibre people from across the industry give their time to support its activities.”
Andrea Powell, Executive Director, Publishing CABI
“Being a member of STM, is for a company like Thieme, of multiple value. Since all major and many other STM publishers are active members in the organisation, STM is always at the edge of new developments.”
Dr. Albrecht Hauff, Publisher, Georg Thieme Verlag
Download and view the print version of our Benefits Brochure.